If your dog was the teacher, you would learn things like...
POISONOUS TO: Dogs and cats
TOXICITY LEVEL: Generally mild to moderate, depending on the amount ingested
WHAT TO WATCH FOR:
- Abdominal pain
- Bloody diarrhea
- Shallow breathing
- Acute kidney failure
- Bone marrow changes
Fireworks are dangerous to pets in several ways. First, the loud noise of fireworks (during July 4th holidays) can result in severe stress, fear, and anxiety. Secondly, when unused fireworks are ingested, they are poisonous to pets. Fireworks contain hazardous chemicals such as potassium nitrate, which is an oxidizing agent. They can also contain charcoal or sulfur and coloring agents, which are potentially dangerous heavy metals. When ingested, pets can develop gastrointestinal issues like vomiting, a painful abdomen, and bloody diarrhea. The severity of pet health issues resulting from ingestion will depend on the type of fireworks and the amount that was ingested. Pets ingesting large amounts can suffer tremors or seizures, along with acute kidney failure, bone marrow changes, shallow breathing and jaundice, which is yellowing of the skin.
PREPARING IN ADVANCE
The holidays are finally here! Trees, candy, reindeer, family, and cheer are just around the corner. As you prepare for a festive season, keep in mind that your furry companion might not feel as jolly as you are. While you are wrapping presents, baking the ham, and possibly preparing to travel, we have some quick and easy tips to remember to keep your furry friend safe this holiday season.
Thanksgiving is a holiday that lots of people look forward. It is a time for food and family. While all these things are great for people, they can sometimes be hazardous to our pets. When planning for your Thanksgiving dinner, there are a few things you should keep in mind...
While Halloween can be a fun time for kids and adults alike, it can be a dangerous time for our pets. Several popular Halloween treats are toxic to pets. Chocolate in all forms—especially dark or baking chocolate—can be very dangerous for cats and dogs, and sugar-free candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can cause serious problems in pets. If you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please call your veterinarian.
Our pets deserve dedicated individualized care as they age. Brook Farm practices a sympathetic and mindful approach to pets as they enter the senior years. Monitoring, detailed wellness plans and family involvement are some of the ways that we ensure your pet’s optimal care at each stage of elderly life. Here are the top 10 tips for your senior pet.
Dogs and cats can become dehydrated quickly, so give your pets plenty of water when it is hot outdoors. Also make sure your pet has a shady place to escape the sun, and when the temperature is very high, don't let your dog linger on hot asphalt. Being so close the ground, your dog's body can heat up quickly, and sensitive paw pads can burn.
The decline in canine rabies seen in the US has had a profound public health impact, resulting in a huge decrease in human rabies infections. There are still parts of the world, however, in underdeveloped nations where people still die from rabies.