Featured Article

The Importance of Vaccinating

read more

No Bones About It: What to Know About Osteoarthritis in Dogs

Our pets are living longer, healthier lives. However, much like people, your dog’s senior years can be affected by the aches and pains of aging. Osteoarthritis is becoming much more common in dogs, particularly large breeds or pooches carrying extra weight.

3 Ways to Prepare Your Pet for Back to School Season

As summer is winding down, many Brook Farm families are caught up in the rush of getting ready to head back to school. In the midst of the frenzy of shopping, meeting teachers, and paperwork, take a moment to watch for any concerns on how the change in the family’s schedule is affecting your pet. After a couple months of extra attention and play time with the kids, the abrupt quietness of the house can be very upsetting for your dog. Sudden changes in the home can also create stress for your cat, leading to anxiety and depression. Below are some tips from Brook Farm staff and families for helping your cat and dog handle the start of the new school year.

4 Reasons to Microchip Your Pet

24/7 Emergency Triage Now Available

 

Make the Most of Summer With Your Dog!

What to Know about Your Cat's Vaccines

What Exactly Are Vaccines?

What to Know About Your Dog's Vaccines

What Exactly Are Vaccines?

16 Things You Would Learn If Your Dog Was the Teacher

If your dog was the teacher, you would learn things like...

Pets and Fireworks: What You Need to Know

POISONOUS TO: Dogs and cats
TOXICITY LEVEL: Generally mild to moderate, depending on the amount ingested
WHAT TO WATCH FOR:
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Bloody diarrhea
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Shallow breathing
  • Jaundice
  • Acute kidney failure
  • Bone marrow changes

Fireworks are dangerous to pets in several ways. First, the loud noise of fireworks (during July 4th holidays) can result in severe stress, fear, and anxiety. Secondly, when unused fireworks are ingested, they are poisonous to pets. Fireworks contain hazardous chemicals such as potassium nitrate, which is an oxidizing agent. They can also contain charcoal or sulfur and coloring agents, which are potentially dangerous heavy metals. When ingested, pets can develop gastrointestinal issues like vomiting, a painful abdomen, and bloody diarrhea. The severity of pet health issues resulting from ingestion will depend on the type of fireworks and the amount that was ingested. Pets ingesting large amounts can suffer tremors or seizures, along with acute kidney failure, bone marrow changes, shallow breathing and jaundice, which is yellowing of the skin.

clinical partners with
LMU College of Veterinary Medicine
Northwestern Connecticut Community College
SUNY Delhi